Followers

Friday 14 May 2010

Yet another reminder that being female sucks!

In Thursday's class, we watched a video from the 1990s about how differently men and women were treated when doing different things.

Here are my notes made while watching it [not exactly ad verbatim for ummm..... VERY good reasons]


Video from 90s.                                                                                                   てんじょ(う)=ceiling

If a woman wants a test drive (in the US), the salesman will insist on doing it [Citing insurance reasons].
(VERY VERY RUDE WORD THAT I SCRIBBLED OUT DUE TO PARANOIA OF ANYONE ELSE SEEING IT DESCRIBING HOW I FELT ABOUT THE CAR SALESMAN). <--だめ!!! She got $9400.... instead of $9995.

Man gets $9200->$8900 and is allowed to drive the car himself.

No law protecting women from being pressured to pay higher price for a car.

Some private golf courses don't allow women to play.... and women are seen as less shilled than men & g pushed to later/more undesirable tee times.

Cincinatti newspaper: of course,

Previous job as manager (woman), but talked to about being a receptionist

W Men & women react differently to the discrimination faced by both genders.

Men find it hard to see the problem.

Generally assumed black president will rule before a woman will
the US [HAH! Prophecy, perhaps?]  

                                                       里心がつく                          Email tutors
                                                                                                                                                                                 Fukuoka/ bout Amakusa/


じめじめ = depressing (な/の)                                                                                                                                                                                     Minamata/ Hitoyoshi
_:_:_

As pathetic as that sounds, watching that video put me in a bad mood for the rest of the day.I spent a lot of the time sat there jaw open in horro and shock, wanting to scream expletives about pathetic the car salesman, golf course owner/clerk and the man offering the job as a planning manager [I think] were.

Other things learned from class
Women usually end up paying more for things than men do
Men treated more importantly than women, generally.
Women paid less than men in some cases

_:_:_
Having got into 6 groups aftere the video, my group (Mira, Yutetsu, Shoma, Marina, myself and maybe someone else) got discussing the question of whether fashion was something we liked or felt pressured to follow.


I brokenly tried to say I felt that it worked both ways and that I tried to avoid the pressure as much as possible.
_:_:_
At the end of class, we all sat in a big cirlce like we usually do, with 3 colours of card to each person.

Bill's group discussed the question of whether the mother was more important to the children than the father or both were equally important.

I said both were equally important at the time because both parents play an influence at the time, but on reflection I'm not so sure.

On one hand, there's the common stereotype that the daddy goes out to work while the mummy looks after the children. But the there is the possibility that both parents work, or that there is a single parent for whatever reason. Or even - SHOCK HORROR *GASP* the daddy looking after the kids while the mummy goes to work.
 Of course; in these modern, tolerant times, we have to take gay couples of both genders and polyamorous relationships [however many people of each gender] into account too. But that just confuses thing even further, so whatever your orientation, let's just stick with the typical heterosexual married couple.

I almost want to say the mother, but am loath to do so for some reason I can't figure out. What I thought was REALLY odd, though, was that one guy said the father was more important [talking only from a guy's perspecitve] because he'd teach his son all about certain aspects that only happen to males. Stuff like.... making fires;something else that'd only apply if you ever decided to venture somewhee with a lot of woodland; and [one would hope!] the implication that he could help explain to the son what was happening during puberty and adolescence.






* * * * *
I think a day trip to wherever we're going - if feasible and possible - is a great idea. Sure it could potentially be more knackering to some and a bit rushed, but it'd more than likely be cheaper and you can do quite a lot in a day.

_:_:_

As far as I'm concerned, I'm in two minds about whether to continue on the topic of gender identity or not. It's really interesting and it certainly makes me think about how relatively lucky the UK is generally speaking.... but the same time I don't know how much more reminding that men are superior to women I can really take. But then again, being a bit of a masochist, I'd want to push myself further and further.
 I'll have to go away and think about this, hopefully remembering to give an answer in my next blog.

3 comments:

Kirk Masden said...

Thanks! I always enjoy reading your blog entries. I'm also amazed at your memory for detail. I would not be able to quote the exact prices from the video without taking notes.

I'm sorry to hear that the video put you in a bad mood for the rest of the day. I hope things are not as bad as the video indicated. They did say that there were many situations in which the man and the woman were treated equally and I hope equal treatment is increasing.

I'll read what others in the class say about topics and try to figure out what we should talk about next.

selbydate16 said...

Don't worry about it - I wasn7t feeling great that day anyway.

I've generally not been discriminated against purely because of gender while shopping, as far as I know and I do think things in the Uk are generally quite good on the gender equality front.
But then again, as the video said, sexism is generally very subtle these days... so I never know.

Kirk Masden said...

Thanks. It is indeed subtle so it's hard to know what is really happening.