Followers

Sunday 13 June 2010

Mental Health

I have a friend who may be bipolar or have clinical depression and I've noticed that in the university publications that us 留学生 had delivered to our home addresses before we came to Japan, there is no mention anywhere of counselling, and I have absolutely no idea how they'd be able to get get help if they were to come to Japan.




Just from what I've generally observed through watching the news; reading newspapers et al is that mental health is generally kept quiet about, which makes me think that it's more than likely a taboo subject out there.

I think it would be a very interesting topic to cover - if indeed a complex one - although the fact that there could be some painful issues brought up makes me think that it might be best to leave it out for now.

Something slightly more relevant coming up soon....

4 comments:

Kirk Masden said...

Actually, I'm on a committee on campus in which counseling issues are discussed. There are counseling services both in English and in Japanese, but the are obviously not publicized enough. I maintain a web page called "Kumamoto Links". If you go there are search with the word "counseling" you will find links to two services in Kumamoto.

Kirk Masden said...

Still, I agree that there is a taboo that makes it difficult for people to get the help that they need.

selbydate16 said...

Thank you very much for the links, Masden-sensei: I'd been meaning to ask you about your website(s) for a while but kept forgetting to. Gomen ne.

I'm going to the International Consultation Centre tomorrow and see what happens.

Kirk Masden said...

Glad to help! I hope they have what you're looking for!